BEFORE I START – IF YOU MISSED MY MONDAY POST, I SPOKE TO MY BLOGGING SCHEDULE THIS MONTH – JUNE – AND LESS SOCIAL MEDIA TIME.
If you recall not too long ago, there was the whole revelation on The Biggest Loser & how it affects metabolism! Among the many things in the article, it said this:
“Researchers knew that just about anyone who deliberately loses weight — even if they start at a normal weight or even underweight — will have a slower metabolism when the diet ends. So they were not surprised to see that “The Biggest Loser” contestants had slow metabolisms when the show ended. What shocked the researchers was what happened next: As the years went by and the numbers on the scale climbed, the contestants’ metabolisms did not recover. They became even slower, and the pounds kept piling on. It was as if their bodies were intensifying their effort to pull the contestants back to their original weight.”
Can you say HELLO to perimenopause to menopause! I know people want me to say it is not that bad & all that BUT I will not say that! 🙂 As I have written many many times, it was one of the hardest & challenging times in my life, body & weight wise, AND STILL IS!!!
Just when I think I might get past a hump, it bites me in the ass again! 58 has definitely been challenging, especially 2016 on!!!!
Just like the Biggest Loser stuff, get ready for this – I would say at least 95% of us even if you work out & eat well like me:
1. Your metabolism slows to a halt & goes backwards! 🙂
2. Weigh the same but have a higher body fat & BMI number. YUP, defies logic but I know it first hand!
3. Eat the same but weigh more.
4. Eat less & still weigh more. Now when I say this I don’t mean starve yourself BUT to maintain weight with the hormone change, you are going to have to make big food changes & eat less. I refuse to go less than 1500 though. I will just be less lean. I had to make changes in the ratio of Protein to carbs to fat plus types of carbs I eat. I am not giving up my healthy bread or treat cookies though!
5. Work out like crazy & the weight will not budge.
6. The inner tube (lower tummy) expands & the tighter abs don’t appear even with the same or more workout & less food.
Should I go on? I know I am depressing many but I am honest & for me this is the way it is honestly! Right now & for a few months, I have been battling another change in the body that will not improve. Yes, the arms are staying decent but it is in the abs/tummy & legs area. I am not competing & not being paid to look Fit at 58 so I am not willing to eat less at this point in time for sure!!
Prior to this point in time, I have written a lot about all the other symptoms I had for years & years! I still get hot flasheS but not the bad sweats.
Another downside for me with this age stuff – digestion issues ( and “poop” issues) no matter how much fiber & water I ingest. PLUS as many of you know & pregnant/after pregnancy people know, the whole “holding the pee” issue! I see the whole Depends thing coming in the future! :O
JUST BEING HONEST!!! SHALL I CLOSE WITH THIS: