For so many, this is a crazy time of year. Food everywhere, holiday gatherings & parties, no time for you or fitness or everyday regular life! Then you have the New Year’s celebrations!
So many are just overwhelmed with all there is going on & don’t take any time for themselves. For me, we have the holidays AND lots of bdays right through January!
Here is my advice for getting through this without guilt and being fine with just doing what you can & feeling fine about that:
- BREATHE! I remember some very very stressful times when my heart would race like no tomorrow. I had to step aside or walk away or walk outside and do some deep breathing! DO IT FOR YOU!
- If you meditate, do it no matter what even if it is only 5 minutes a couple of times a day!
- Maybe you can’t do your regular gym routine BUT you can still get there. You can do 2-3 minutes higher intensity cardio (any cardio machine or high knee stepping or whatever is high intensity for your level of fitness) –> follow that with a weight circuit covering each body part for one set –> 2-3 minutes cardio –> weights circuit and keep going like that for 20-30 minutes or whatever time you have to get a gym workout in if it has to be shorter than normal.
- If it is hard to get to the gym, take a few walks per day or whatever you can get in. A workout does not have to be all at one time to be effective. Do something for 15 minutes, 3 times a day if you can do that – OR JUST DO WHAT YOU CAN!
- On the holidays or party days – walk before or after the meal or both. It does not have to be fast walking but at least move a bit to make yourself feel better. If you have to be inside, play some games or turn on music & dance – HAVE FUN!
- Core work does not have to be sitting or on the floor. There are plenty of good exercises you can do standing. I have quite a few videos on Instagram & Facebook. Have some fun doing that with others OR while you are cooking for a break. Do push-ups against the counter or wall OR floor for a break! 🙂
- MOST IMPORTANT – BE KIND TO YOURSELF! A DAY OR 2 DOES NOT BREAK YOU! Just get back to it after it is all over! Balance in Life!
How are you going to stay sane thru the holidays?