My Feet Don’t Work – Workout Tip

Pic creditPic Credit

I got a question on Instagram from a lady that had trouble keeping all her toes down flat when exercising & especially during leg moves. Rodney my video guy also asked me about it.

Now, I have some major BAD feet! I have flat feet that are wide withย very bad bunions on both feet! I have had them for many many many years! Of course they have got worse over the years – the reason you never see me in sandals or pics of my feet without socks or shoes. ๐Ÿ™‚ I can’t even fit into cute shoes anymore. It is all about wide workout shoes.

I am also an overpronator due to those flat feet.

Yup, I am a mess! It has made working out & especially leg day or balance exercises very challenging over the years. I tend to tip over with balance exercises because I haveย such a bad overpronation. With leg day, the challenge is pushing thru all the feet vs. just the part that wants to touch to the ground. ๐Ÿ™‚ I have tried orthotics & they just don’t help enough with my feet.

I know most lifters wear flat shoes & some no shoes to do legs. I can’t! In fact, during the worst part of my feet issues when I lost the padding in the balls of my feet, I wore my Hoka OneOne running shoes to do legs. I had to in order to get thru it without pain. NOW I can wear regular running shoes with some padding but I CAN’T wear typical leg day shoes.

WHAT DO I DO TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM:

It is as simple as this – hard to do put simple premise that I write about & talk about all the timeMIND/MUSCLE LINK!

I put my mind into the move so that I am concentrating not only on doing the move correctly but also pushing through my feet correctly whether that be thru the whole foot or exercises that require more push thru the heels.

Don’t just go thru the motions. I know I always write this but it is so important to get that mind/muscle link to execute a more effective execution of the move whether it be legs or any body part!

Do you put your mind into the move when working out? Anyone else have feet issues & have to concentrate as hard as I do to do when you work out?

1. This is a great point. I’m lucky that my feet are pretty good (though I’m prone to a touch of plantar fasciitis always), but in the last few years I noticed that my hip would bother me after I ran. I also noticed that my right foot wanted to point slightly outward when I ran. So I mindfully set out to change that. I really focus on running straight ahead, and it finally became a habit for the most part, though I need to check in every now and then to make sure it doesn’t misbehave. Thanks for the reminder. We always have to move mindfully, whatever we’re doing.

1. Debbie – yes, mindfully – great way to put it!! THX!!

2. I love reading you talk about ANY mind and muscle link as I find myself nodding along as well. This weights and workout stuff is so simple…and so so not ๐Ÿ™‚

1. I am sure you get this so well Carla & yes, so simple but so not… ๐Ÿ™‚

3. I have flat wide feet too, but I am lucky they respond as long as I keep them in good shoes, never let the shoes get too old and lose their bounce and never put my feet in high heels, flip flops, too narrow of a shoe, or too flat of a heel. Oh yes my feet are very cooperative as long as I let them dictate.

1. Haralee – YES, I agree on all your points!!! The feet dictate our life! ๐Ÿ™‚

4. I’m pretty sure mine rivaled yours – on both feet! Several years back, I finally went under the knife for each one. Best choice I could have made and I’ll take my Frankenstein scars over the bunions on any day. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I still have foot issues, but more with muscle/fascia, but the mind/muscle connection is so very important!!

1. Melissa, I saw a new bunion procedure at UCLA that is like a 3-4 week recovery BUT it is EXPENSIVE!!! No health coverage for it either… that is the one I am saving up for – if I win the lotto! ๐Ÿ™‚

5. No pain – no gain buddy ๐Ÿ™‚

I imagine everyone who is a serious exerciser is going to have issues to deal with. I guess at this point, I am just glad I can keep on keeping on ๐Ÿ™‚

1. I agree Dr. J – happy to be able to do anything!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Thankfully no feet issues to speak of…. Just yet, LOL! However I definitely had a pulled something something in my foot before, I think last XMAS and it was super painful but I just WORKED THROUGH THE PAIN! lol!

1. You are a beast GiGi!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

7. Love that mind/muscle link! Some people don’t “believe” in it but it’s the basis of all good yoga. I had one bad bunion on my right foot, and I had a bunionectomy (love that word) about 3 years ago. It was painful for a couple of nights and the recuperation period was pretty long, but it was worth it. Thinking about writing a post about this with nasty pictures and all. What do you think?

Anita

1. Aniata – I can’t imagine anyone not getting the mind/muscle truth! ๐Ÿ™‚

I think you should write the bunion post! As I told another commenter, there is a new procedure out of UCLA & one other hospital back east that is a HUGE improvement over the old type procedure – it is like in the last 5 years or so & recovery is much easier.