Why I Don’t Do Twitter Chats & Why Brands Should Know

tweetchat

I know Twitter chats are all the thing. People have them, join them and YES, there are lots of great ones out there. They cover some very important topics no doubt! I AM NOT BASHING TWITTER CHATS!!! Please understand that. I am just explaining why they don’t work for me personally and why I think brands should pay attention to those that are not fond of them.

All the Twitter chats I have been part of had LOTS of people joining them. The tweets were flying as fast as the car in Back to the Future! πŸ˜‰ I would get a tweet in and then I would have some responses to that while still trying to pay attention to the actual chat & information shared in that chat.

For me, I learn more about the product by researching it myself. The chats – I have so much trouble keeping up with all the tweets that I really do not get anything informative out of it. They just move too fast to absorb the info. I am always trying to keep up but before I know it, they are on to a different point or explanation about the product or subject matter. It became me trying to just respond before 25+++ other tweets came through! WAY TOO FRUSTRATING FOR ME. Β πŸ™‚

Brands love these chats because they do highlight their product. I GET IT! I get why many of you love them too.

I DOΒ think though that brands should pay attention to those that support the product day in & out, year after year, but do not do the chats. Heck, many people do not have the time or are not home OR trying to take care of business after they get home from work.

Sometimes the chats are short-lived and people move on.

LOVERS of the product continue to support it long after the chat – just saying! πŸ™‚ I am talking to YOU Hoka OneOneΒ along with a few others! I wish they would understand this & support those of us that do this – make them ambassadors OR sponsor them!!!

What are your thoughts on Twitter chats? Love them.? Hate them? In between?

This goes on with Instagram and much of social media. I posted this yesterday:

TO THE ABOVE INSTAGRAM PIC: Ummmmmm, I didn’t even see that moth when I took this pic! 😀😬😍

I have a post tomorrow about why brands need to pay more attention to people that support them day in & out, year after year. Brands need to not only look at pretty people or age or those that may have a lot more followers yet don’t tweet & IG like some of us.

I have had many many many people buy products based on my HONEST opinions! We should be sponsored & ambassadors too.

To be fair, @ymxbyyellowman had me as an ambassador in the past. They are past all the other stuff!

I will also have a post about @Incrediwear products in the future.

Hoping brands pay attention to this.

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

Would you prefer to see regular people you can relate to & have fought for it ORΒ pretty or famous people? I guess the famous sell but I would like to see a lot more regular people being supported out there to give encouragement to others that it can be done vs. them thinking that theyΒ can just afford it or were born with it. To be fair – many wealthy AND pretty people work for it but I think my regualr folks see it the other way & prefer to see people they can relate to.

1. I think that twitter chats are fun and a social way to share about a brand and its products and positive features. I think there has to be a healthy balance of sharing the love on twitter as well as other social platforms.

1. Sandra – I know so many that love these chats & I get it. Just not fun for me. πŸ™‚ Yes to the healthy balance.

2. I must admit that I’m kind of addicted to Twitter Chats. I agree with you that you don’t learn much about the products but they’re fun for me personally.

1. Lisa – I am addicted to skipping them now! πŸ˜‰ It is all about the personal… I just don’t have fun but getting all these comments that people love them.. I get it… πŸ™‚

3. I totally get this – I don’t do twitter chats either – i really don’t learn that much because they are very confusing – trying to keep up with all the comments!

1. I am with you Lori – and I just don’t enjoy them.

4. I like to jump into chats when the topics resonate but I usually don’t even TRY to keep up. It can get insane. On the other hand, I agree that brands should pay attention to people who genuinely support their products and look for win-win relationships.

1. Cici – I guess that is the way to do it – not try to keep up! πŸ™‚

5. I honestly don’t learn ANYTHING from twitter chats. I mostly participate in them to connect with new people, and grow my ‘brand’. But I can see why people wouldn’t want to participate at all.

1. Jenn, I totally get that… I just get so frustrated. πŸ™‚

6. I completely support your viewpoint. There is a format for everyone, and not everyone feels comfortable in the same space. Brands need to understand the needs of their entire market, not just a segment. Long term brand support is valuable.
    Kimberly

1. Thx Kimberly!! I really get why brands & people like them but they are not my thing. πŸ™‚

7. Honestly? I hate twitter. Whenever I go on it (which I haven’t in probably 6 months) , my feed is full of just stupid little stuff – often a billion tweets from the same person there.

1. I don’t get to tweet as much as I probably should Lori but I hear ya! πŸ™‚

8. You always do such a good job explaining your thought processes and positions. Fair, non-judgmental, open. I hope brands do recognize your value and professionalism. As for tweet chats, I enjoy some and find others too rife with over-enthusiasm that does not seem genuine. Depends on the brand and the content, but I’ve attended some that have been a lot of fun and others that stretched out too long.

1. Kymberly – thank you friend! I appreciate your words. Yes, some are better than others for sure. I just find my time better used elsewhere. πŸ™‚

9. I have done Twitter chats in the past and some have been good and others not. I find that too many people just post garbage tweets and when that happens it gets out of hand. But I understand that the real point of them is to get the # hashtag they are using to trend so others will see it. Volume not quality. I rarely get involved anymore.

And I would much rather see real people, and real athletes endorsing the fitness related products I use and buy. I couldn’t care less about celebrity endorsements either. The people that are influenced by these celebrity endorsements are a huge market, though, and spend a lot of money!

1. Elle, that first paragraph – such a true & valid point!!! That is what gets me crazy is that is what it is about vs. true love of the brand.. but I get it – it is about selling the product. πŸ™‚

I AM SO WITH YOU ON REAL PEOPLE!!!!!!

10. Yes, Twitter chats move so fast! It helps to sometimes do them on two devices when you can, one for keeping up with the thread and the other for responding to replies/tags.

1. Cassi – holy cow – 2 devices! I have a hard enough time with one! πŸ™‚

11. I’ve had some fun with Twitter chats but I think it depends on how you’re viewing them. tchat.io makes it easier to follow conversations in real time than trying to view them on Hootsuite or Twitter itself. However, I don’t know how effective Twitter chats are to influence “real” audiences other than other bloggers. I would say most of my audience isn’t on Twitter.

1. Rebecca – thank you for your thoughts!! Good to know.

12. I don’t do twitter. Maybe next year, lol

I have to say, I have owned a lot of shoes over the years, mostly Asics. I would always tell people that I liked them. I never ever thought that Asics should do anything for me for that. We lost that when we started buying products that put their names all over them. We became their billboards.

1. I think that is what it is now DR. J. Also brands expect a lot from bloggers with not a lot in return.. πŸ™‚

13. I think ideally a Twitter chat gets discussion going around a topic that tangentially benefits the brand as opposed to directly info-dumping to the participants. The best ones I’ve been a part of (and it’s been an age since I’ve done one) had some lively discussion around 1 or 2 of the questions that interested me, and I had to tune out the rest, making it a little like a party; you can’t talk to everyone, at least not at the same time.

1. Axel – good idea to tune out what is not important to you… I agree with your thought process!

1. Rebecca – such a great discussion with this post! Thx for commenting!

14. Honestly I don’t think I have done a Twitter chat in a long time because I am so freaking busy on week nights and an hour on Twitter means an hour away from working out, blogging, or sleeping.

1. Abby – I think a lot of people get that comment – me too! πŸ™‚

15. I love that you are willing to give your opinion πŸ™‚ I like twitter chats mostly to connect with other like minded people. But, I also rarely have the time to do it, so there’s that.

1. Thx Carrie – I got both sides & that is what it is all about – right. πŸ™‚ The time to do them is hard here too! πŸ™‚

16. Thank you so much for verbalizing what I’ve been thinking all along! I don’t do the chats . . . and thought it was just me! I think it takes all kind in this world and this business!

1. I am glad I am not alone too Marla! πŸ™‚