I have had a lot of different looks over the years! 🙂 Many women fear weights because they think they are going to get huge or become too muscular or lose their femininity. LET ME TELL YOU – THIS IS JUST NOT TRUE!
If you look at those very old leotard pictures above – NOT the red one – that is 40ish – I wore my leos way past when I should have 🙂 – I actually weighed less than I do now!
HERE IS THE THING ABOUT LIFTING WEIGHTS:
1. You can tailor your workout routine to how YOU want to look! Lift heavier if you want more muscle. Lift lighter if you want less muscle or just toning.
2. You can structure the lifting based on a more circuit training routine (medium to advanced lifters) to burn more fat & calories OR you can do a certain number of repetitions & sets to work each muscle group & sculpt your body to how you want to look. See my Wednesday post.
3. YES, certain people are easier muscle gainers than others. YES, certain people have a harder time gaining muscle than others. 🙂 This is a fact so you need to establish if you are an easy gainer or a hard gainer & make your food choices & workout choices based on that information.
4. I know many women like the way I look BUT others do not want to be as muscular. I get that and it does not hurt my feelings at all.
HERE IS THE THING ABOUT ME & MY MUSCLES. I workout AND EAT to look like this! Food, just like in weight loss, has a huge part in the gaining of muscle & sculpting of your body.
When I was younger & bodybuilding, I ate A LOT!!! I ate to gain more muscle mass so I could compete.
Once I decided not to compete any more, I slowly changed how much & the types of food I ate AND the ratio of protein to carbs to fat. I did it over the course of 8 months so I could learn my body & what worked for me AND so I did not feel absolutely starving going from a weight building food program to a less muscle & smaller me food program.
5. Take the time to learn your body. How you work out and the food you eat to get the body you want FOR YOU is a learning process! As we age, as you well know from many of my posts, will bring new challenges. I had to again change my food program yet lift differently.
By the way – 1 pound of muscle and fat weigh the same! See pic below of 5 pounds of fat vs. muscle. The thing is that muscle takes up way less space – you are more compact & a smaller size! You may weigh the same or a bit more BUT how do those clothes fit? How do you feel? Lifting weights & getting some muscle on you not only helps you lose weight & get leaner, it also helps you with healthy aging – it protects your bones. You can do & lift things on your own. You will be self-sufficient!
DO NOT FEAR THE WEIGHTS. IF YOU DON’T WANT TO LOOK LIKE ME FROM LIFTING – YOU DON’T HAVE TO LOOK LIKE ME!! 🙂 I eat and work out to look this way.
YOU WILL EAT & WORKOUT TO LOOK HOW YOU WANT TO LOOK!!!
Wait for it – what do I always say – find what works for you & this goes for weights & muscle gaining too. You are NOT going to look like a man or lose your femininity or get huge muscles unless you eat & train for them!
DO YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS? I am adding lots of exercise videos to my YouTube channel. I hope to add some talking ones too – answering questions for you. Ask away!