I know – blah blah blah I go again. 🙂 I am 57 and GiGi is in her 20’s…. YES, of course she looks way better BUT we can provide ourselves with the basics for healthy aging.
The concept is easy & it is NOT rocket science but implementation & consistency & patience is what does a lot of people in. I was heavy in my younger years so I get it. No, not 100 pounds overweight but 30+++ as a kid into high school. I get the not feeling good about yourself. I get the catch 22 of emotional eating. I get the feelings of inadequacy that boil up non stop at every little thing that goes wrong. I get that the inadequacy lasts long past the years of losing weight. I get that those feelings can set you on a spiral downward to regaining the weight. I GET IT!
Here are just some things I have learned thru my 35 years at this about LONG TERM WEIGHT LOSS AND MAINTENANCE:
1. MY MOST IMPORTANT POINT! When you start into your weight loss & exercise program, you are going to have to accept that this is a self-improvement, self-wellness, healthier living & feeling project for life. It does NOT end after you reach your weight loss goals. You can’t go back to eating the way you did before you started this journey to feeling healthier. I have been at this 35 years….. It is life for me now but it took time to understand that. GIVE YOURSELF TIME TO FEEL IT. It does NOT happen overnight or even in 21-30 days! YES, you can feel better & lose weight but if you have a lot of weight to lose, it takes time, patience consistency! There is no quick fix! Things happen quicker at the beginning of a program & then they level off. We all have these times when nothing is happening. IT IS NORMAL…. work thru it & understand that plateaus are part of the journey! ALSO, we all fall off at times. DO NOT let it deter you. Just get up & get back to it… never give up! Move on & Move Forward!
2. Saying all of the above – WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT! Find what works for you – I always say this! Give your body time to get used to the change BUT you can always change the food plan & exercise plan if things are not working right or do not feel right OR you just hate the food or exercise plan. There are so many ways to mix it up food & exercise wise. I have changed things many times over the years. This is the great thing about doing it right without the crazy “diets” out there. You learn your body & what does and does not work for you. You understand how to “feel it”. It makes it way easier to change your plan if you are learning the right way from the beginning. Make the choices about what makes you happy OR at least what you think you can live with and handle as a health program. I really hated running when I first started it as part of my cardio program. As time went on, I never really loved it BUT I always felt accomplished after it. I am not a cardio fan but I do it. I find ways that work for me & fit my schedule. YES, I rather be hiking on trails or at the beach walking BUT this does not fit my schedule. I have found what will work for me & what I can live with long-term. We all have to make choices in life on what is right for us.
On food, my personal opinion is that any plan that incorporates healthier choices, works for you, you can live with & is not a crazy elimination diet is fine. YES, some of us can’t eat certain foods due to physical issues but I am a BALANCE IN LIFE person. I do eat cleaner than many most of the time for MY GOALS but I also include bread & my cookie treats as you all know by my pics! 🙂 I am more a mini meal eater & portion control person. I like to know the stats & nutritional makeup of food but I don’t need to log anymore & have not for years. I did in the beginning to know exactly what was going in my body & how it worked for me. Many hate to log but it will tell you what you are putting in your body if you are honest about the logging & that also means food you pick on thru the day AND off other people’s plates! 🙂
FIND what works for YOU not ME! 🙂
3. Life changes & our bodies change as we age. That is OK! Keep working to find what works for you at that point in time.
4. You DON’T have to do the same thing day in & day out! If you try a food and/or exercise plan for a month or so & you are just hating it – well, a good sign that it may not work for you. NOW SAYING THAT, don’t throw in the towel too early. Sometimes if we stick with something a bit longer, we see that it is actually a good thing for us AND that maybe we like that exercise program after all – give it time! AND IF YOU LIKE VARIETY – DO DIFFERENT THINGS! You don’t have to go to the gym every day. You don’t have to bike or run or swim all the time. Mix it up! Change is good! Find your happy place & go with it! Sometimes it takes longer based on what your happy place is – that is fine!!! Know that you are worth it!
5. Are you hungry or are you thirsty? Many times hunger is actually us being dehydrated. Make sure you stay hydrated! I have tested this & it is true! YES, food is nice, :), but many times we really need water vs. the food. Now saying this – I want to point out that many foods have high water content & we can get some of our hydration needs thru the day through water packed foods. I also want to point out the rule that we all have to drink 8 eight ounces glasses of water is not always the case. Again – we are all different. I learned this years ago but here is a good article from Mayo. Listen to the bod.. and if all else fails, the color of your pee tells you a lot! 🙂
It all comes down to YOU!!!! It is about you & that is not selfish!!! My motivation will be different from your motivation. I never wanted to go back to the heavy me once I lost the weight. Honestly, it is still a motivation for me. I am fine with that. What I can tell you is that how I feel after a workout – the accomplishment of it – tap into that!!!! No matter how little or how much you do – tap into that feeling that you are helping yourself – that you matter!!! As for food – same thing. How I feel eating healthier really makes a difference.… I know I am setting myself up, I did set myself up to age healthy & hopefully be around for all those family & friends younger than me. I want to be around!!!
What are your motivations? Anything above click with you? Share away!
The NuNaturals Giveaway winners were announced HERE. Are you one??? Congrats to all winners! Please email me a physical mailing address & your email for notification of shipment.
All the rest – do not fret! Don’t forget that: You can receive DISCOUNTS on all orders placed on their website: www.nunaturals.com. They have great baking products plus the stevia!!
When you get to the checkout page, enter DISCOUNT CODE BLG0615 to receive – 15% DISCOUNT on your ENTIRE ORDER. This discount remains EFFECTIVE UNTIL JUNE 30, 2015 . Online ordering customers may also receive FREE SHIPPING to the CONTINENTAL U. S. on all orders exceeding $35.00 after discounts.