Looking Inside for Me Again – Back to Basics; Workout Tip for the Day

Many of you know that I did some amateur bodybuilding in my late 30’s. I read & devoured all those magazines & anything on lifting hard-core when I was younger. I also read up on all the supplements & anything related to increasing your performance that was NOT illegal.

After I stopped competing, I continued to read certain less hard-core magazines but weight lifting will always be my love. When I hit 50, I started my whole Fit at 50 thing… years before it got super crazy & saturated on the internet like it is now. Yes, I am going to say it, I was doing it & writing about the 50s and my personal experience with the change before many others. I still do write about it as you all have had to endure my crazy posts! πŸ™‚

As time went on with my blog, many encouraged me (WELL MEANING) to move strictly into the Boomer world in terms of blogging & focus. It was an up and coming trend that was going to last. I got that. Yes, I could get an audience just doing that since I had been there & done that already.

My problem – it never felt quite right. Sure I could possibly make some money or be more visible doing just that but my heart could not get into it fully.

Where I am now & where I should have stayed – I LOVE HELPING ALL AGES! I WANT TO HELP & ENCOURAGE YOUNGER PEOPLE TO EITHER START OR MAINTAIN FOR LIFE BECAUSE I CAN SHOW THEM IT WORKS. I ALSO WANT TO ENCOURAGE ALL AGES MID TO LATER IN LIFE TO START, NOT GIVE UP AND/OR KEEP GOING.

What I am saying is that I am going back to where I was a few years back. The reason my posts have been different lately is that I want to go back to sharing some of my knowledge from my 35 years at this – the mistakes AND the learningI don’t just want to focus on one age group. This is where my heart is – helping ALL ages so I am going back to that… even if does not get as much traction as just focusing on the Boomer & older crowd. I like speaking to everyone! πŸ™‚

So – WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? I am getting good feedback from my posts lately so I hope you will stick with me!

WORKOUT TIP FOR TODAY:Β If you are working out in a gym, NEVER ask anyone a question while they are in the middle of a lifting set. Wait until they are done! Once they are done, ask them if it is OK to ask them a question or do they prefer to wait until the end of their workout.

Reason – first – you don’t want anyone to NOT focus on their lifting move. This is a sure way to injury especially if the person lifts heavier. Also, many have a set routine. For example – me – I like to keep moving & not stop so this would definitely interrupt my workout. Others time the rest in between their sets. It is important to respect that for a person that is working out & especially those that are obviously hard-core. If you are short of time, ask them if there is another time that they can help you out. I am always willing to help before or after OR even by email. I love to help & I love that they want to ask my advice!

Don’t forgetΒ Skoop &Β that you get 15% off your total order through February!!! Put in the discount code BEINGFIT15 at checkout!Β . I have a badge on the right side of my blog for easy access to ordering these amazing plant-based products.Β You don’t have to be a foodie! I added them all to my easy to make foods below. I am all about EASY, not fancy!

1. ahh you know what I think :0)
    our insides
    our hearts
    ALWAYS KNOW
    we just need to listen.

1. Thx Carla – appreciate!!!!!!!!!!

1. Lindsay – I need to remind myself because at times it got me in trouble! πŸ™‚

2. Hi Jody, I think it’s great that you can provide tips to all ages. I totally benefit from them so I would love to see more. Fitness spans all ages =) Keep up the great work, you are very inspirational!

1. Thx always for your support Jason!!!!!!!!!!!

3. You got this!!! I feel like you already appeal to ALL age groups. The younger crowd can get tips and advice to make themselves better without having to actually make the mistakes and go through so many trials……the older crowd can take inspiration and motivation to keep moving mindfully to be healthier, stronger and have a better quality of life as they move through the years. You are a living example for all!

1. Tess, thank you as always!!! I hope I can make a difference! πŸ™‚

4. Jody I think your decision is a solid one….just like your body. Hahaha! Great workout tip. I definitely don’t appreciate being interrupted in the gym.

1. Marcia – πŸ™‚ and thx!!!!!!!!!!

5. ALL the age groups. BTW, that’s a good tip . . . not just lifting but treadmill running or yoga-ing. Had a guy yesterday come and try to talk to me while I was busting out 400s on the treadmill. Lost my concentration, nearly fell of the TM, not to mention I couldn’t really speak at that speed

1. You know Jennifer, I was going to add in cardio too! πŸ™‚ I have people try to talk to me while I am doing intervals & HIIT – not! πŸ™‚ Glad you did not fall off!

6. I am loving your tips lately….I work at my Y so when I go there to actually work out sooo many people know me or recognize me and #1 annoyance is always being interrupted by others for a “quick hello”. They don’t realize they are number 10 to give me the “quick hello” and now I just really want to finish my workout and go home. πŸ˜‰

1. Thank you Kathy!!!! Yes, sometimes we just want to get it done & get home! πŸ˜‰

7. With all your experience and knowledge, I think it’s fantastic that you are sharing it with a wide age range. And this 49-yr old will be reading!

1. Always thx Amanda!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Sorry Dr. J but better than being hacked by a foreign country & spreading to all my wonderful commenters! πŸ™‚

8. Go with your gut – be true to you. Love your passion and that you’re sharing it with everyone.

1. Thank you Carrie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. I imagine etiquette at the gym is the same as etiquette at the office, etc. Being considerate and polite with others is always a good plan.

1. The Heather & hoping it matters. πŸ™‚

10. I love all of the great information you share and I think it is good for so many people – all ages and all skill levels as far as working out!!! What I love the most is that you always stress that everyone is different and what works for you might not work for someone else. I hate the “cookie cutter” approach that so many fitness programs follow!!

1. Kim – thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I always appreciate your comments & input – we get each other! πŸ™‚

11. I love your posts! And I see no reason not to have an audience of varying ages. Variety is the spice of life!

1. Betsy – YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. That is a great idea! I cant wait! I am new to Healthy Aging myself. New to menopause and lifting. I could use all your help and ideas. Much Love!

Oksana

1. Thx Oksana!!! Thx for finding me here!!!! HUGS!

13. Yeah!! I think helping all ages is AWESOME! I know I love your advice and tips! And AMEN to that tip today!! I hope EVERY gym goer reads this post! haha

1. Sarah – thx dear friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!