What Does Aging Look Like? Happy Bday Time

LaborDay2014SelfieMeBrandon

First things first – a HUGE happy birthday to the oldest grandson! This is a pic of us from this most recent trip – I know you saw it already but why not use it again! Glad we got to see him & celebrate while we were there! He is such a great kid – well teen! 🙂 Love you kiddo!!!!!

ON TO HEALTHY AGING!!!!

ReidsMomSept2014

Remember in the olden days – well for those that are older like me – we thought 40’s & 50’s were old! These days, women 40+, 50+ and older can be in better shape than the younger ones!

Meet a good friend’s mom. She is 89! This picture was from a very recent Walk to end Alzheimer’s. My friend said that she was the first to cross the finish line for her age group as well as several other age groups!  His joke about this – “I am sure she was first because there was chocolate at the refreshment table!!!” Hey, many of you can relate to that!

My friend shared this about his mom. “Her story is amazing… for 35 years she walked with her lady friends every weekday morning at 8:00am for 4-5 miles in sun, rain, and snow in Bellevue, Washington. Now that she lives in her residency complex on a hillside, she goes 3 – 4 times a week to the exercise class… and then walks the hallways of the residency building. Amazing lady!!!!

I also have met some very active & fun seniors during my demos for Wild Friends Nut Butters. I have met a 99-year-old that was walking around the store just fine & doing his own shopping! Had a great chat with him. I met a 75-year-old woman who was in awesome shape! As I age, my neck is showing that age big time. She told me she mixes a tad of water with vaseline & puts in on her neck every night! 🙂 I have met many people in their 60’s and above that are in fantastic shape!!!! In fact I follow many people on Instagram that are over 50, 60 & more that are living active lifestyles & competing in different sports or races – amazing what we can do if we don’t let the number get in the way!!! Why grow up if we don’t have too! 😉

What did all these people have in common? They have been active for years. They live a healthy & active life but balanced as well! Don’t I always say it when I show my cookie pics as well as chat about my love of bread & other fun things – BALANCE IN LIFE!!

We all have to find what works for us but balance is so key to it all! I have been the other way & balance it much better! 🙂

Share your stories! 🙂

1. She looks great for 89. An active lifestyle really is the key to a long healthy life. With that in mind i’ve been making too many excuses about being busy recently for not getting to the gym, that has to change.

1. Gary – she does look great! Yup, excuses stall us!

2. Agreed!! Age is a number to keep up with how long you’ve lived….Heath is a determining factor on how long you WILL live. Balance = Better life Thanks for being a great example!

1. HUgs Tess – I always love your comments!

3. I know several older folks who are doing very well also!

As all of us, I am getting older too! As well as doing everything we can to hold off the aging process, I feel that attitude is also very important. I was punching the speed bag at the gym one time and a young man in his early 20’s was watching, then asked, “Were you a boxer back in your day?” Smiling, after I told him of my martial arts training, I added, “By the way, I still feel this is my day!” lol!

1. YES Dr. J – attitude for sure!!!! “Back in your day” – OMG, hilarious!!!! I think some of us are in much better shape than the youngsters! 🙂

4. Age is just a number – not an attitude or even an ability. I prefer to ignore it, not dwell on it or try to fight it.

5. Back when we were kids, I remember gasping when my best friend’s mom turned 40. It seemed so “grandma” like back then. Now, for many, 40+ certainly is not what it used to be. Granted age is what you make it and my own grandma was a badass well into her 90’s. She lived simply, walked to town daily for groceries and time with friends, gardened like it was her job and lived joyfully. She will always be my role model for healthy living.

1. MArcia – I love your words on your grandma – we learn from seeing it too! 🙂

6. I love reading about people in their 70s, 80s and even 90s who are still living active lifestyles – I hope that is me one day!!!

7. Jody, it’s official. You give THE BEST birthday shout outs to your family. Enjoyed your entire post today (as usual!). squeeeee!!!!

1. HUGS Josie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smooch!!!

8. Vaseline mixes with water?? Who knew!? As for me, that chocolate at the end better be dark. As for you, picture me holding a cup of coffee in front of you, but in a nice, not taunting way. You young pup!

1. Kymberly – that’s TWO molasses cookies – not chocolate! 🙂 Smooch!

9. Your hair looks fucking amazing and so do you. Don’t forget to email me and tell me about your workouts. I’m experiencing a a few recovery issues myself… 🙂

1. Suzanne – smooch!!!!!! Thx for your patience!!!!