What Being Unplugged Taught Me

TwitterFacebookGoogle+PinterestLinkedInEmailStumbleUponTumblrShare

Photo: #BeingPresent was amazing! Saw grandkids & 2 oldest stepdaughters!! #family #grandkids #happiness #CherishTheJourney #funtimes #enjoythemoment #LifeMoments #EnjoytheSmallThingsthatBecometheBigThings #love #happyplace #Life #taketimeforyou Photo: Photobombed by my son-in-law!  So much fun visiting everyone! This was a train ride into mountains. #BeingPresent #CherishEachMoment #happyplace #EnjoytheSmallThingsthatBecometheBigThings #Breathe #family #NoFilter #nostress #LifeMoments #Life #MomentsinTime #happiness #CherishTheJourney #ffcheckin #fitfluential #LifeExperiences @momtobrndon @brookie_pie_04 @brandon_ducks99 Photo: #ThrowBackThursday #TBT - this past weekend. I can't help it. Too many fun pics to share! #happyplace #family #love #CherishTheJourney #EnjoytheSmallThingsthatBecometheBigThings #LifeMoments #Breathe #BeingPresent #LifeExperiences #happiness #grandkids #midlifeblvd #beauty #IChooseBeauty #peaceful #Imissalready #fitfluential

LaborDayTrain2014 LaborDayTrain2014A LaborDayTrain2014B

So by now, most of you know that I went to visit my 7 grandkids & 2 oldest stepdaughters/hubbys this past weekend. We were there from Saturday until Tuesday morning. Way too short a visit but I will take it!!! I chose to unplug from all social media – I did not do email, Facebook & rarely checked Instagram. I did not post anything at all while I was there. The phone came out strictly to take pictures, delete emails that came through & were not important at the time & make/receive phone calls not related to social media stuff. 🙂

What did I learn from this:

1. IT FEELS AMAZING!!!!! 🙂

2. I miss the people but not the social media. I wish there was a way to be connected to all the wonderful people I know via social media but in person! Not feeling tied to it was freeing! I am also slow at it so it is a huge time suck for me – EXCEPT THAT I LOVE THE PEOPLE! There is so much more time to live in the present & experience without feeling the obligation & need to check it all the time. I wish I could take the wonderful people with me into the non social media life!

3. It really has made me think about how to live my life going forward – LOTS & LOTS OF THINKING STILL GOING ON! If I made money at social media, it would be different, but I don’t make any money at this.

4. No matter what I decide to do in the future, unplugging is going to happen more often for sure. I know this will transfer to fewer people stopping by here or my other social media accounts but that is OK by me. It is worth it based on my learning experience from this past weekend.

So…. I will keep ya posted as I think more on this learning process. Have not gone anywhere yet BUT definitely has me rethinking priorities. Posting will most likely be less as well.

A few more pics from the weekend & I will share more over time. 🙂

We have 3 bdays in September up there so a joint celebration!!! That cute dog is Oreo the neighbor dog & LOVES the kids & the kids love him! “Nana Jody” in Frisbee mode! That’s me throwing. Oldest grandson, oldest stepdaughter & middle stepdaughter at a local amateur baseball game. OMG – got caught in a freak wind/rain storm on our walk home – it was crazy!!!!!

LaborDay2014Bdays LaborDay2014Gails LaborDay2014NanaFrisbeeLaborDay2014Baseball

One of the grandsons makes amazing sugar cookies! They were small so I might have had to eat a few to reach the size of one of my head size cookies from home! 😉 I also had some amazing molasses cookies – pics over the weekend! 🙂 Me & oldest grandson on the train ride we took into the mountains. It had a cast on there doing a cute show – so fun!!!!!! That is my oldest stepdaughter, her hubby, the kiddos & the cast. Last pic is the grandkids on our way home from a walk.

LaborDay2014Caseys~Cookies LaborDay2014CaseysCookies LaborDay2014SelfieMeBrandon LaborDay2014TrainCastJohnsons LaborDay2014WalkApt

I shared this on Instagram & Facebook last night – I loved this movie but the message is CLEAR!

Have you ever completely unplugged? How did it feel? Did you make changes in life based on that unplugging?

1. It’s funny how the times that I do unplug, I feel light, free and in the moment. But the minute I start looking at my phone, social media, email, etc I get weighed down and lost. Unplugging is definitely something I need to do more of!

1. agreed! i miss the people, but not the connection looking down on the phone. and Jody, can you grandson make us all cookies? LOL!

1. Lindsay – yup! AND I forgot to take pics of the choc chip cookies too – only because they are not my thing but everyone else loved them!!!!! 🙂

2. Angela – your comment is perfect – that is how I feel most of the time from freeing to weighed down!

2. Yes! Every Sunday is Social Media Sabbath. It makes a huge difference. Looks like you had a great time!

1. Pamela – I may have to do that Sunday thing! 🙂

2. Love it- I’m at least not working on Sundays now, and unplugging altogether is next.

1. I hear you Suzanne – I am going to have to unplug a lot more & quite honestly, I need it!!!!!

3. I unplug a lot. I have to since my job involves being on a computer all day. I do use social media as my release, though. I don’t feel like I have to be on it or trying to make money from it. I just pop on with thoughts to share.

Glad you had such a great time with the family!

1. Lori – you have it right for sure!!! 🙂

4. “If I made money at social media, it would be different, but I don’t make any money at this.” <<<< YES! I've started disconnecting more and more and it's rather liberating to be honest. So glad you had that time!

1. Heather – I agree – liberating for sure!!!

5. Looks like you had a fabulous weekend Jody!
    I’m with you. Great friends on social media, but sometimes you just need to get away from it.

6. Lately I’ve been limiting the time I spend with my laptop – it is so nice to know that I just have a window and then I’m done and it is OK!!!

7. I really loved EVERYTHING about this post, Jody!!!

Though the red dress does stand out, lol!

I’m so glad that your time was so well spent and you learned so many important personal things while spending such wonderful times with great people!

Sorry about the weather here in Florida, Idaho fans! All the Gator fans here were quite bummed out! As well as very wet, lol!

1. Thx Dr. J!!! It was an amazing time!!!! AND nobody was even following the football – WOW!!!!! 🙂

8. I think the trick is to check in with our sense of liberty/freedom. Do you *want* to check up on your social media friends, or do you feel *compelled* to?

What else is going on that you might be missing out on? Sometimes it’s really nothing, and that pic on Instagram is as good as it gets in the moment, but like you say… look around.

1. Super interesting comment Axel! Mixed feelings… 🙂

9. Love the pics – what a fun weekend! I love it when I’m somewhere and my phone doesn’t work – wish that happened more often!

1. Lana – now I must seek out places my phone does not work! 🙂

10. I cannot even fathom what it would be like to be disconnected from technology for even five minutes, ha ah! However, I do believe I am planning a trip out of the country and when I go, I want to be OFF my phone/technology as much as humanly possible! I think I will only use my phone if I need/want to contact my family, but aside from that, NOPE – NADA!

I am so glad you got an escape! 🙂

1. GiGi – how exciting – out of the country!!!!! WOW!

11. I have a hard time unplugging because (as I realized just a few weeks ago) I’m addicted to checking emails, facebook, and all my favorite websites and blogs! That’s why I decided to take Fridays and Saturdays completely off from the internet.

The result? First weekend I just couldn’t do it – I got the shakes! 🙂 But this weekend I almost succeeded (with only one hour of surfing the web), so next week I am determined to not go online at all.

And what I discovered is that I agree with you. It frees up both time and energy, and feels great, once you get over the abstinence.

Good luck staying offline!

1. John – interesting the process of disconnecting!! I had no issues when I went away & first time I had done something like that in a long time – says something to me.. 🙂 I do get the withdrawal though!

I need more time & energy for other things so more disconnecting coming! 🙂

12. I’ve been unplugging more lately (and am trying to convince the husband to do the same….), and it feels good. There are just too many things that I don’t want to miss because of social media…

Glad you had such a nice time with family!!!

1. Andrea, it does feel good!!!!!! I see some changes a coming in the future.. 🙂

13. I can totally relate to this post! I love connecting with like minded spirits, but sometimes social media can be so draining! I always try to stay away from social media when visiting family, I feel like I want to be “right there” in the moment! So glad you were able to spend time with your family – it looks like you had a great time!

1. Thx Lori & I know you get it….. I think I just need more away time whether with family or not… 🙂