We are not Always ON; It’s OK!!

I Am Enough2

I have been reading a lot of blogs & posts about people saying their workouts are not up to par or they are not feeling it or they are slow or all the combos of that sentiment.

I have been struggling as well. I have taken on the demo work which while fun, does have me on my feet a lot more. Like many others, I have to fit in all the stuff I need to do at home too. This is added to “other stuff” I don’t care to write about on the blog. It all adds up to some additional stress – both physically & mentally.

I mentioned previously that I have had to change my workouts due to the demo work. I also have had these on & off days more often than usual. One day the cardio is great & the next day it sucks. I have feel good weeks of workouts & than a week of so-so workouts.

You know what? THIS IS LIFE! I think we all have to understand that mental & emotional crap can affect our workouts. It is a known fact the mind junk can head on down to the body & create havoc – not just in workouts but health as well. BE KIND TO YOURSELF!!!! It’s OK not to be ON all the time! It is human & normal!

I have written numerous times about how we all need to do what is right for us – food & exercise. We all have different lives, kids or no kids, active jobs or sedentary jobs, money stress or not – all kinds of things that lead to how we need to find what works for us & nobody else but us. 🙂

So if you are not ON one day or even for a week, ride it out – it’s OK!!! I have had so many of these ups & downs in my 30++ years at this. Luckily I have learned to ride them through. It can be tough mentally but you have to learn to NOT get down on yourself!!! “And this too shall pass”. 🙂

One caveat – if you are not feeling yourself for a longer period of time, please have a doc check-up. Maybe you are deficient in something or there is an infection you are not even aware of …. for many of us active folk, we tend to be too strong at times & not thinking it could be a larger issue. Be kind to yourself but also smart if it goes on too long. 🙂

Anyone else that is too hard on themselves when they are not up to par?

1. I too have been like that where done days are great & others so so. I do the same & busy take it day by day. I am a single mom of 2 that works full time, goes to school, tries to get in the workouts & still needs to cook, clean, mow the lawn, & when i have nothing to wear remember that I haven’t done my laundry in over a week! The kids do their own & i am constantly after them to help out. It’s rough & stressful but it’s my life & I’m still here so – yay me!

1. Kalena – you have tons going on so glad you are being kind to yourself!!!!!

1. Thx Sheri!!!!! I am sure you understand! 🙂

1. Thx Rena – we all have to be kind to ourselves… 🙂

1. oh i so love that! yes, we can bring our A game 24/7. Even super man rested. And Jody, thanks for the honesty. We need to be real and let us just get by with the off weeks… IT is LIFE

1. HUge hugs Lindsay!!! You, Kristin & so many others writing about this & me too – i feel it & my younger self did not understand it was OK. My older self does! 🙂

2. Totally agree with you! I have weeks where I just am not feeling it – that usually means I need to get some REST and let my body catch up with what I want it to do!

1. Alysia – that is the truth for sure!!!!!

3. This is a good reminder actually. When I find myself being really “off” I do initially turn to myself as the one at fault but have done so much better at stepping back and looking at the bigger picture. I think it can help us train better too when we do that – was it lack of sleep, eating is off, stress at work, etc. I try to pay attention to that sort of stuff and recognize that my hard hard run may have been a culmination of many things that I was ignoring. And it’s impossible to be ON all the time isn’t it?

1. Heather – excellent points!!!! The bigger picture always reveals all! 🙂

4. Great post Jody. It is ok to be off or take a break. As you mentioned we are human.

1. Thx Mike – yes, we can only do so much!

1. Aubery – I still do but better than my younger years! 🙂

5. There was a time when I always pushed myself and expected the absolute best from myself at all times. At one point, I pushed myself so much and was so worn down that I got really sick (and stayed sick for a long time because I refused to properly rest). I try to be much kinder to myself these days. Plus, if all workouts (and days) would be spectacular, we wouldn’t even notice as they wouldn’t be anything special anymore… And that would be sad! 🙂

1. Andrea – thank you for your comment – this is good for people to hear!!! Thank you for taking time to comment!

6. I’ve finally realized that when I start to struggle a lot with workouts it’s a sign that I need to ease up and take some rest days (you know I don’t really like to take many rest days).

1. Kim – I resemble you!!! 🙂

7. Oh Jody, this hit home! People see me as a crazy energetic, bubbly, happy, wound up person, but guess what? I am NOT always this way!!!! Actually one time I went to a blogger meet and greet and I was having a really bad day and I remember a specific blogger (no names to be mentioned) said to me: What’s wrong with you? Where is your energy? – I actually was a tiny bit offended by the comment at the time, probably because……… I was having a bad day! LOL!!

1. GiGi – YES! I can see this happening to you! We all can’t be perfect 24/7!!!!! HUGS!!!!

8. “And this too shall pass.”

I know I have seen that quote before, but where? It’s driving me crazy. Please Jody, enlighten me! 🙂

1. Are you saying it came from you John???? 🙂

9. Good post and a great reminder. Being “ON” all the time just is not possible or normal…some days I am the energizer bunny, other days I feel more like that old dog, Duke, from the Beverly Hillbillies— but, I have learned to embrace it and take full advantage of those “battery full” days, and not feel guilty on my Duke days 🙂

Love John’s quote– “And this too shall pass.” Those were always my Dad’s words of wisdom for something that was totally freaking me out…basically, how he would talk me down off the bridge, metaphorically. Dad’s been gone for over 10 years– but I find myself telling my own kids, and grandbabies, the same thing.

1. Denise – YES!!! I so agree – take what we get each day!!! 🙂

Actually And this too shall pass is from my post, not John’s, although who knows – maybe it was from him since I don’t know the origin. I heard it all the time growing up! 🙂

10. So true. Everything goes in cycles, we have to stick it out and be kind to ourselves. My alarm didn’t go off this morning and I woke up right as I should have been finishing my workout. I’m bummed, but I think my body was trying to tell me that it needed rest, so I’m going with that.

1. Carrie – yes!!! Cycles in all aspects of life for sure!!!!!

11. You are so right Jody! I think we all put pressure on ourselves to always have a great workout, run or work day and when we don’t we are not kind to ourselves.

We easily would tell a friend to take it easy or that bad days come but when it’s ourselves, we don’t give ourselves a break.

There are so many reasons why we have off days but it’s getting through them so we can experience the good ones that helps us progress in life and in fitness.

1. Melissa, so true – and YES, we would tell a friend to take it easy but we are so much harder on ourselves!!!