Please Stop the Cardio Bashing

Wednesday April 30, 2014

I see a lot of cardio bashing online, on Instagram & other places. Unfortunately I see a lot from my fellow weight lovers & a lot from CrossFit lovers too.

I do wish people would understand that what works for them may not for others. PLUS many are younger & if you are lucky enough to have a good metabolism, maybe you don’t have to do as much cardio .. OR maybe you eat super super super clean OR maybe you have a super active lifestyle or job that burns more calories than others.

I don’t know but I do know that I had to do cardio when I was young & I have to do it now – even as much as I weight train AND eat pretty decently – not perfect but a lot cleaner than many. I also include HIIT & intervals in my cardio & I still do more than many that are not training for something or are racers or competitors.

We all have different bodies so just because you don’t have to do more cardio does not mean they another person is the same as you.

PLEASE don’t bash before you know more about the person.

Not only the above, but we have people that love to run & race, we have triathletes, we have cyclists & more that do a lot of cardio. This DOES NOT MEAN that they don’t cross train or do resistance training or do yoga. I know many that do it all!

Of course we have the ones that over train & do nothing but cardio – that was ingrained in me when I was young but luckily I fell in love with weights! I still had to do more cardio than most for my age to stay looking the way I WANTED TO LOOK – that is what it is all about – what is right for you.

As we age, it gets even harder. I read a lot from the 40+ group that are experiencing what I did in my late 40’s which is nothing compared to what happened to me in my 50’sagain, this is my experience – but I do read from many that the 50’s were when it really started to hit them hard – the hormones & how they effect the body.

Either way – I had to do cardio when I was young & I have to do it now – at a much higher intensity for my age to be honest with you all! I eat very well, I weight train, I stretch & all that good stuff & I still have to do quite a bit of cardio.

All I am asking is for some understanding from those that don’t have to do as much as others..  I quite honestly am tired of it.. YUP, saying it – tired of it!

I WILL END THOUGH WITH THIS: I get that we all have our own things that work for us. If less cardio works for you, I am happy for you!!! I REALLY AM cause not a cardio fan. BUT, if you write posts, it would be great to include that some may need more cardio than others & we each have to find what works for us.

So, what are your feeling on this? Do you have to do more cardio than others whether you are young or older?

1. Great post! One size does not fit all. As I’ve gotten older (just turned 60), yes, I definitely need the cardio just to be able to burn enough calories.

2. I absolutely agree. I feel weights are necessary for overall fitness and health, but I also feel that cardio is the key to weight loss and staying slender. I read an article once written by a fitness model. Muscular, toned and strong. She did 1 hr of cardio a day. When preparing for a competition she did 2hr of cardio a day…something to think about.

3. Thx Kitty! YES!!! This age stuff makes it even more so. No way I am eating just 1200 calories a day!

4. Thx Stacey – appreciate!!!!

5. I just started back exercising and am doing interval training with cardio on the treadmill and rower and time with weights. It’s the perfect balance for me. While I can’t keep up yet, every day is getting better.

6. YES!!! Great post. I hate that. So many people bash others on so many things, but everyone knows what works best for them!

7. Jennifer, thank you for commenting! I agree – perfect balance!

8. Brittany, yes, we all know OR we figure out with time what works best for us!

9. OMG thank you. Love this so much. I’ve really noticed an uptick in bashing “too much” cardio. Yes, I agree that women should do resistance training and not try to cardio off their booties. But as a distance runner, I do a lot of cardio. I also do a lot of weight training. I’m not trying to be a fit comp gal and know that the extra cardio makes it much more difficult to build. But I feel like I have found a good balance that works for me.

10. The bashing of anyone’s healthy choices gets totally ridiculous. Seriously, people are trying to be healthy, keep your opinions to yourself.

Great post – I must not read the same things that you do, I haven’t seen cardio bashing. Ugh. People have too much time on their hands if they spend it bashing others.

11. Thx Heather!!!! I love comments like yours that show how we are all different & yes with different bodies & goals. Look at all my muscle & I do a lot of cardio! Love that you found your balance & know many others that do it too!

12. Carrie – thank you.. yeah, bashing of anything these days – it is all out there! Like I mentioned, many of my weightlifting friends too – we all are different…

13. I think we often forget that what works for us at this point in our lives may not work for everyone (and not even us later on in life!). That’s why I appreciate your perspective so much! I walk and hike a lot every single day, and I also do HIIT a few times a week. It works for me. Not sure if I can increase what I’m doing as I’m aging, and it worries me a bit…

14. A MEN sister! I see this all the time too and think “oh you have no idea”. You’re so right: one size does NOT fit all. The key is in finding what works for you. Um yeah the 50’s are hitting hard. Sigh.

15. Haters are always going to hate! We all have to do what works for us and not get hung up on what others are doing or saying. Like you the 50’s have hit me hard with body and hormone changes. I have to move, move, move everyday to keep my weight in check and watch what I eat closely.

16. Great post! I recently wrote one very similar called “all sweat is created equal” because I agree that way too much bashing of others choice of workout goes around! As a runner, Ironman triathlete, but also lover of weight lifting and yoga, I have heard it all. At the end of the day, whatever works best for you is what is best- No Judgments!!

17. So well said! I’ve changed up my cardio based on my goals over these past few years, but totally agree that we need to encourage & support rather than criticize or assume we’ve found the magic formula.

18. I don’t do cardio to burn calories, lose weight, or even condition myself. I do it because it keeps me from killing people.

Steady state cardio is a fantastic mood stabilizer, and there is no shortage of empirical data suggesting that it confirms and increased rate of serotonin exchanged between receptors in the brain, resulting in an increased (improved) mood.

Cardio wins.

19. Roy, Thx for your expert advice! I know people are all HIIT only but I do a mixture of steady state, HIIT, intervals – have for years!

20. Thx Melissa!!! I appreciate!

21. Thx Nicole! YES to your comment! It is all about what is right for you & how you want to look & what you enjoy too!

22. The truth Carol! I read your post on your face routine – I want your genetics!

23. Tami – true! I know you do all that you need to for the crazy 50’s!!!

24. Marcia, thank you & yes, 50s are tough!!!!! UGH!

25. Andrea, OMG, I so get your last comment! ME TOO. I did not want to write that in this post & scare people but I joke to my gym friends that as I get older, I might have to rent a room if I wanted to try to stay leaner – I just don’t want to eat less & I am already eating a lot less calories then when I was in my 40s

26. I agree. It’s all about what works for the individual! I’ve found the kind of cardio that I like and works best for me, that’s the important thing.
    Can’t we all just get along… lol

27. To misquote the great Lillian Hellman:
    “I Cannot and Will Not Cut My Cardio to Fit This Year’s Fashions!”

I’ve done cardio for a long time and done correctly, it works great. Those that don’t do it will learn their mistake the hard way. Like a bad dress on the red carpet, lol!

28. if you are healthy and feeling good, then keep doing what’s working, right? I love cardio because it frees my mind and i get outdoors. Bottom line, it’s what makes us feel… US!

29. Dr. J – love this comment!!!

30. Lindsay – yes!!! Love that!

31. Good points Jody! What you do works and I for one can see the need for cardio at my age for sure (I have to force myself). I think a lot of the pushback around cardio is a result of a long-standing mindset: To be “skinny,” you must do lots of time on cardio machines. It’s still ingrained in most women unfortunately. I suppose it might come across as cardio bashing when some of us are actually just trying to get women off the machines. At any rate, you make very good points and I do think cardio bashing exists in the strength crowd ;).

32. So true! And I totally agree with you about the aging part of it..big difference between 40s and 50s (40s were awesome!).

I think the problem comes when people (mostly women) do nothing but cardio. But still, you’re right. People should do what works for them. Really, nobody has a right to “bash” anybody elses choices.

33. Suzanne – thx & yes, I had that mindset years ago when things were different. I know weight people that don’t do as much as I do & others that do but honestly is comes down to how your bod works, what age you are, how you want to look. I could eat less or do less but not look the way I want to. I have always had to do more (even when I lifted heavy) & read many in the fitness field that do too to stay leaner all year round.. not contest ready but just lean. Age sucks too!

34. Debbie – YEAH! Finally someone like me that says 40s were awesome. I was at my best then. I turned 50 & all hell broke loose!!!

Yes, I agree on your cardio point so I tired to touch on that in my post.

35. Yep, to each their own.
    Hope everyone finds something they love.

36. I love cardio – especially running. I’m all about weights, HIIT, interval training…..but running is always at the top of my fitness list!

37. Kim, I know you love your running!!!!

38. Somebody necessarily lend a hand to make significantly posts I might state. This is the very first time I frequented your website page and thus far? I surprised with the analysis you made to make this actual publish incredible. Magnificent job! ebdcedgdcdfdbeek