Friday March 21, 2014
Every time I post post workout pump pictures on Instagram, I always get tons of comments on my biceps. This makes me very happy because biceps used to be my worst body part when I was younger PLUS my muscle insertion & belly is short so I have to work very hard for what I get. Some people have that full muscle belly all the way to the elbow – not me.
So what do I do to work my biceps. I do work them twice per week.
Let me just outline the exercises I do every week & then other ones I rotate in on a revolving basis. As you know, I like to mix it up!
The exercises below I do EVERY week – not necessarily every workout but every week. I find these basics are what really has helped me improve my biceps. This works for me but it may not for you!
1. Standard DB curls & hammer curls – I do mine standing but you can do them seated. In order to improve, I start with the heaviest weight I can do with good form that usually gets me 4-5 reps & drop set from there either by 2.5 or 5 pounds per drop till I hit anywhere from 15-20 reps.
2. Seated Incline DB Curls & hammer curls– I tend to vary the incline a bit with each workout. Same rep range & drop set as above. You will need lighter weights for incline curls. PROPER FORM & don’t lift heavier than you can without proper form or you are going to injure yourself.
3. Standing Barbell curls – same as above – working to improve my biceps, I do the heaviest I can with proper form for 4-5 reps & drop from there.
4. Standing EZ curl bar curls – same as above
5. Preacher Curls either on a preacher curl machine, free weights with barbell, ez curl bar or DBs on the preacher curl bench. I also do them on the straight side of the preacher curl bench. I used to do these more when I was younger but now I find the exercises above work my biceps better BUT I still throw them in there each week. With free weights, I do hammer curls on the preacher curl bench too.
Exercises I rotate in other than the above ones:
1. Cable incline curls & hammer incline curls seated & standing. I have done a video on Instagram on the seated ones. I really love the feel of these!
2. Lying cable straight bar, ez curl bar or rope curls. You can do these lying on the floor by the cable machine OR on the seated row machine that is usually used for back.
3. Standing cable curls with bars above & rope hammer curls. I also use the long lat pull down bar that you would normally use for back to do this & #2 above. You can also take a D handle & do them 1 arm at a time.
4. Weight plate curls – mimics a hammer curl but with weight plates.
6. 21s – You can do with barbell, ez curl bar or DBs.
This is definitely not everything I do but gives you some ideas to work from in your own program.
The thing to remember is that we all have different body types & muscle belly insertions so what works for me may not be what is best for you. I had to do a lot of playing around with my workouts to find what worked best for me. I had people tell me that this or that exercise was the best one out there but it did not always work for me. FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU! Saying that – I do stand by my top 5 to really help you build mass if that is what you are looking to do.
Also remember that you can do alternating curls, 1 arm at a time, both at the same time – mix it up! Doing 1 arm at a time will help make sure one arm is not stronger than the other.
Another thing I do is take a typical exercise that I do & find other ways to do it like DB curls with the cable, with weight plates, with kettlebells, with bands – think about how else you can do the exercise with the other equipment in the gym.
AND.. always get that mind muscle link & use proper form!
Hope you all liked this post – any questions?
Brand Love: Just ignore if not interested.
1. Designer Whey Products – Full disclosure that I make a bit of money if you use my discount code ZDWHEY4 at online checkout for 20% off your total order – all products included and free shipping in continental US with orders of $50+! If you have a fit minded friend that loves their products, why not make up your own little gift cert, give it to them & let them know yo
u will pay for it!
2. KnixWear. I am one of their “knixperts”. You get 15% off your order by putting my code knixpert25 when ordering online. I have tested the gusset lined ones for stopping “crotch sweat” – THEY DO!!!
They now have a NEW CAMPAIGN on Indiegogo. It is their new FitKnix line!!!! SO EXCITING! You can click that link to see the video & learn/see more AND ORDER!
FULL DISCLOSURE: The link is personalized for me so if people buy using my link, I get a LITTLE bit of money for all sales once my numbers reach a certain point. Would love you to help the company & me. I know you will love the undies!
3. MixMyOwn Healthy Cereals: Full disclosure that I make a little money off them if you click my link but I LOVE THIS COMPANY & the idea of being able to make up your own special mix from 100+ choices! You can also buy gift certificates from their site for friends, family & coworkers!
4. NEW Partnership! Silk Athlete: Line of 100% organic silk fitness apparel! Get 10% off your online orders with Discount Code silk-jody. This line feels amazing on, wicks sweat beautifully! There is no weighted silk, acid dyes, wild silk, silk noil etc. They don’t finish their products with anything. The garments are hand cut, individually, and sewn by hand, in an innovative production system- in a special purpose built sportswear factory. The factory is certified for low waste, energy efficient, responsible employer- with good inspection process by authorities. It can take 6 months to develop a color- some colors can’t be offered – for example white- given white is “made”- by coating the textile with a chemical. They don’t offer really deep colors that silk is renowned for as this requires acid.