Weight & the Holidays - Part 1
We have entered that time of year, Halloween through New Years. During this period of time we have: Halloween & Halloween parties; Thanksgiving, parties as well, & lots of times, family stress; Christmas, more parties & sometimes again, family stress; and we finish it out with New Years Eve & day which can be parties & family get togethers again & possibly more stress.
So, what do all of the above have in common..... food, alcohol and stress whether it be family stuff which we know often comes at this time of year OR money stress due to gift buying & parties OR personal stress due to not enough you and sleep time!
I think NOW is the time to prepare if you have not done so already. Let's look at a few ways to get through this & maybe even lose a bit of weight. BUT, let me say that just maintaining through all of the above is an accomplishment in itself! So, what can we do to survive?
- Make a plan! Planning ahead for the upcoming holiday or party is key. Know what you are prepared to do or not do.. eat or not eat. Offer to bring a healthy dish to the party or get together.
- Plan to amp up your workouts before and/or after a fun filled get together. AND, get right back to business the very next day.. not the next Monday.
- Eat super clean the couple days after a splurge to not only to clean out the bod but to just feel better. Don't we often feel "gross" after an eating binge. Drink lots of water too to help flush out the sodium that may have been in the food you ate & to cleanse the bod.
- DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT GET DOWN ON YOURSELF! We are all human & yes, sometimes we just want to enjoy. If you have planned for it.. or even not, the worst thing you can do is beat yourself up over it & then get even further in a slump. Just get back to business & remind yourself of how far you have come, how much you have accomplished & what the end goal is & do not deter from that!
- Schedule, schedule, schedule! Just like work or life stuff, put your workout on your daily planner & make it just as important as everything else. Log it in & DO NOT cancel! Not only does the bod need it but the mind as well! Maybe you have to work out in the early morn for a few weeks even if this is not your thing OR do a few mini workouts thru the day if you only have 10-20 minutes at a time OR if you only can get 30 minutes, hey, better than nothing!
- Schedule in YOU/REST TIME! I don't care if it is only 10 minutes locked in a bathroom although a nicer location would help! But, do find time each day just to sit & maybe do some deep breathing to clear the head & the emotions. This is good thing to do any & every day!
- Sleep - Try to get your sleep no matter what! TRY! I know it is hard.
In addition to the previous, tomorrow I am going to talk a bit about how to keep burning the weight away during the holidays and also a couple suggestions if you are trying to get into that "little black dress".
What are some of the things you do to survive the holidays both stress wise & weight wise?