Weight & the Holidays - Part 1

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

We have entered that time of year, Halloween through New Years. During this period of time we have: Halloween & Halloween parties; Thanksgiving, parties as well, & lots of times, family stress; Christmas, more parties & sometimes again, family stress; and we finish it out with New Years Eve & day which can be parties & family get togethers again & possibly more stress.

So, what do all of the above have in common..... food, alcohol and stress whether it be family stuff which we know often comes at this time of year OR money stress due to gift buying & parties OR personal stress due to not enough you and sleep time!

I think NOW is the time to prepare if you have not done so already. Let's look at a few ways to get through this & maybe even lose a bit of weight. BUT, let me say that just maintaining through all of the above is an accomplishment in itself! So, what can we do to survive?

• Make a plan! Planning ahead for the upcoming holiday or party is key. Know what you are prepared to do or not do.. eat or not eat. Offer to bring a healthy dish to the party or get together.
  • Plan to amp up your workouts before and/or after a fun filled get together. AND, get right back to business the very next day.. not the next Monday.
  • Eat super clean the couple days after a splurge to not only to clean out the bod but to just feel better. Don't we often feel "gross" after an eating binge. Drink lots of water too to help flush out the sodium that may have been in the food you ate & to cleanse the bod.
  • DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT GET DOWN ON YOURSELF! We are all human & yes, sometimes we just want to enjoy. If you have planned for it.. or even not, the worst thing you can do is beat yourself up over it & then get even further in a slump. Just get back to business & remind yourself of how far you have come, how much you have accomplished & what the end goal is & do not deter from that!
  • Schedule, schedule, schedule! Just like work or life stuff, put your workout on your daily planner & make it just as important as everything else. Log it in & DO NOT cancel! Not only does the bod need it but the mind as well! Maybe you have to work out in the early morn for a few weeks even if this is not your thing OR do a few mini workouts thru the day if you only have 10-20 minutes at a time OR if you only can get 30 minutes, hey, better than nothing!
  • Schedule in YOU/REST TIME! I don't care if it is only 10 minutes locked in a bathroom although a nicer location would help! But, do find time each day just to sit & maybe do some deep breathing to clear the head & the emotions. This is good thing to do any & every day!
  • Sleep - Try to get your sleep no matter what! TRY! I know it is hard.

In addition to the previous, tomorrow I am going to talk a bit about how to keep burning the weight away during the holidays and also a couple suggestions if you are trying to get into that "little black dress".

What are some of the things you do to survive the holidays both stress wise & weight wise?

What did you think of this article?

Trackbacks
  • No trackbacks exist for this post.
Comments
Page: 1 of 2
  • 10/28/2009 3:40 AM MizFit wrote:
    I cant chime in enough about what you said with the be KIND TO YOU.

the holidays arent all year.
    they really are fleeting tho they can feel forEVAH

routine is coming back...be gentle to yourself.
    1. 10/28/2009 5:16 AM Jody - Fit at 51 wrote:
      Miz, so true, the holidays can feel like forever BUT they are not... yes, be kind to yourself & others & try to keep to your routine.
  • 10/28/2009 4:38 AM cher wrote:
    I guess I'm glad that the holidays have never been an issue for me, but I know a lot of people see it as a time to splurge. Maybe in central PA they pack on the fat to keep extra warm.. hehehe.. jk
    1. 10/28/2009 5:18 AM Jody - Fit at 51 wrote:
      Cher, you are too funny! I have not had probs with the holidays either BUT when I was younger & heavy, man, I loved the holidays to just eat!

Is important to find strategies to get thru them if you are trying to lose weight or just maintain... OR if you are an emotional eater & holidays can be stressful!
  • 10/28/2009 5:59 AM Dr. J wrote:
    Of course your plan will work for the holidays, and the rest of the year too!

We will have a very fit and healthy choir again.
  • 10/28/2009 7:06 AM sian-girlgetstrong wrote:
    I buy candy that I hate so I will not feel tempted before halloween! When the kids come back from trick or treating I usually get one treat each from them that I really love and that is it!! Great TIPS!!
  • 10/28/2009 7:13 AM Jack Sht wrote:
    Great set of guidelines here, Jody. You really know your stuff.

Thanks to your advice, I'll be discontinuing my favorite halloween tradition: bobbing for ham.
    1. 10/28/2009 3:18 PM Jody - Fit at 51 wrote:
      Jack, OH NO, not the ham bobbing!!!
  • 10/28/2009 12:32 PM Extreme Fitness Results wrote:
    You're totally right--the confluence of holiday stress and eating is a lethal one. Funny how people always wait till after New Years to make impossible resolutions rather than pacing themselves from the get-go with sensible, moderate eating and exercising. Ah well! Myself, I like to simply keep up my fitness regimen as I go, and just listen to my body so I don't over do the eating. Hard though when you're dining at mom's.
    1. 10/28/2009 3:20 PM Jody - Fit at 51 wrote:
      Thx for visiting! Yes, why wait till the new year or Monday or any special day. I address that in my post for Thursday, part 2. So true!

My parents are no longer alive but man, I remember the good food they made.. both mom & dad!
  • 10/28/2009 12:51 PM FitJerk's Fitness Blog wrote:
    I eat as much turkey as possible so that wine doesn't easily get me hammered!

Oh wait... you wanted weight wise suggestions. Well here's what I'd tell anyone:

Eat till you're satisfied, don't eat till you're FULL.

If you do resistance training... do a full body workout using the "big daddy exercises" the day BEFORE the big meal and the day AFTER the big meal. This will provide a cushion where your metabolic rate is ramped up!

Big Daddy Exercises: DeadLifts, Pull/Chin Ups, Dips, Barbell/Dumbell Presses, Squats & Rows.

And if you don't do resistance training... grow a pair and get started.
    1. 10/28/2009 3:22 PM Jody - Fit at 51 wrote:
      FJ, good points! Ah, the exercise part is in my Thursday post & suggestions like yours here! We think alike.. well, in some ways!
      1. 10/28/2009 6:44 PM FitJerk's Fitness Blog wrote:
        Yeah we do think alike don't we. Well... except when it comes to strippers. lol
  • 10/28/2009 1:22 PM Diane Fit to the Finish wrote:
    Jody - I think your ideas are just great, and like Dr. J said will help us all throughout the year as well.

It's funny but I actually eat less around the holiday season maybe because I'm ultra conscious of how much food is around!
  • 10/28/2009 1:33 PM Kellie - My Health Software wrote:
    When I'm surrounded by food at parties I always have a glass of water or water bottle to sip on. Helps stop too much food from travelling in the mouth.
  • 10/28/2009 3:17 PM Jody - Fit at 51 wrote:
    Dr, J.. exactly.. this is an every day thing for me even thru the holidays as it is with you!

Sian, great strategy! Enjoy but with portion control!

Page: 1 of 2