After losing a role for being “too fat” post-baby Monica Potter of NBC’s Parenthood had the following to say about the audition:
I went in and thought I did a really good job. I got home and get the call from my agents. I’m like, “I did good, right?” And they say, “You did great. The problem is you’re just…” I’m too fat. “Yeah, we’re just going to wait a little bit.”
I think it’s really important for girls to have people to look up to and to feel good about themselves. I’m never going to starve myself for a part. I don’t want little girls to be like, “Oh, I want to look like Katniss, so I’m going to skip dinner.” That’s something that I was really conscious of during training…I was trying to get my body to look fit and strong, not thin and underfed. “I’d rather look chubby on screen and like a person in real life.”
I think there’s a perception out there that people know me based on these glamorous photos they see of me in magazines, but I have about two hours of hair and makeup and then people to dress me, to make me look even better, in those pictures. There’s really so much more to me than that.
And sometimes (almost always) those pictures are photoshopped and retouched to make them even more “perfect” – and impossible to replicate in real life.
Most models are thinner than 98% of Americans. Instead of trying to change our bodies, how about we try to change our culture?
In an effort to try to change the culture that brought Lovato down the road of self-harm and an eating disorder she allowed cameras to film her journey to recovery in a documentary which aired on MTV called Demi Lovato: Stay Strong.
Women constantly engage in negative self-talk about their bodies, and often too find it as a way to bond with one another. “No, no my hips are huge!” Instead of criticizing ourselves, and each other, we should take some time to do the exact opposite and compliment one another and even ourselves."
"We might think of contentment as something we can achieve if we only had ___________. Truthfully, being content with what you have, who you are, and where you’re at in life has little to do with what you put in that blank. Perhaps nothing at all."
-Confident Runner Pricing – An option presented upon checkout which rewards those who know exactly what they are looking for. This option waives the Free Return Shipping but offers the shoe at a below retail price. Shipping of product to customer is still free, as is the return shipping of donated shoes for Kindness Cash Rewards Program.
-Free 3 Way Shipping – Free shipping of your order to you, free shipping of any returns for any reason, free shipping of your donated shoes back to us for re-purposing with Soles 4 Souls or The More Foundation Group.
-Kindness Cash Rewards Program (KCR) – This is what turns your old shoes into credit towards new ones or any product on our website. KCR are available to the customer after any footwear purchase (the idea behind this is to replace your old shoes with new ones, and keep the old ones out of the garbage, landfills, or ones closet… thus why it is available after footwear purchase). Upon receipt of their footwear order, customers have the option to place their old shoes into the KindRunner shipping box and place the pre-paid return label on the box for shipment back to us. Upon receipt of the label, we will scan the bar code and place the KCR onto the customers account for future use. Each return label (whether it contain one pair or 4 pairs of shoes) is worth $10 KCR per new shoes purchased (5 pairs purchased on that order, you can earn up to $50 KCR) or credits towards future purchase. The KCR can be used to purchase ANYTHING that KndRunner sells and will never expire.
--Expert Product Reviews – YouTube page - Each and every product we carry will come with an expert product review video on the same page that the product is listed on. These videos are done by individuals who have worked in the running industry for a number of years either as shoe reps, store owners, or expert shoe fitters at one of the oldest running stores in the nation. We bring the knowledge of your neighborhood specialty run shop to the comforts of your own home!
-Easy 365 returns – A customer has 365 days to return any product, so long as
it is in its original packaging and in its original condition. If you are
injured and unable to use the shoe, if your doctor wants you in a different
model because of orthotics, no worries… no questions asked!
-A nice reward for earliest customers - “Free Socks for Life” to our first 500 customers! Each time one of our first 500 customers returns and purchases a new shoe their order will ship with a free pair of socks of their choice from our sock inventory. As long as this customer continues to run, they will continue to get socks!
For me, this is a time to challenge myself to JUST BE ENOUGH NO MATTER WHAT I DO ... And my challenge for all those that want to join me is the same.
YOU ARE ENOUGH NO MATTER WHAT YOU CHALLENGE YOURSELF WITH to running to walking to swimming to racing to yoga to just being kind to yourself.. I am just asking my team members to get up each day & do the best in whatever they want to do & no matter how it ends at the end of the day - they can say - I AM ENOUGH.
"Each friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born." Anais Nin
First, about this company from their webpage:
"YMX offers multifunctional garments that bridge the gap between athletic and fashion garments. Featuring high-comfort, lightweight MadKool fabrics and detailed, original prints, YMX garments can be worn for athletic use, or for casual wear. As a matter of fact, because of the moisture-wicking properties of the fabric, many people wear YMX in both active and leisure activities without having to change!"
FROM ME THEN: The fabric is amazing!!!!!!! MadKool fabric - I have worn nothing like this! I can't wait to try it out in hotter weather! It is as light as a feather & so soft yet wears so well. It drys so fast after my cardio sweating in the gym. It claims to be wrinkle resistant & hold its shape. So far, YES to that! It is machine washable & dryer safe PER THE INSTRUCTIONS but I chose to hang dry mine & I have never had something dry so fast on a hanger! That amazing fabric!
CURRENT UPDATE: I have put in the dyer now & still washes & wears perfectly!!!! I wear all my YMX tops A LOT & THEY LAST!!!! The designs & colors are so fun & different & vibrant!
I feel "special" when I wear them!
Just so you know, the MadKool ® fabric is: "100g 88% Polyester12% Spandex and the Properties: UV protection SPF 30+, permanent moisture wicking by yarn, lightweight, soft hand, abrasion resistant, wrinkle resistant, full stretch, holds shape.
ALL THE ABOVE ABOUT THE FABRIC - THE TRUTH!!! I do want to mention that the tops do run small so you may want to size up - check their sizing chart on the site. The bottoms are closer to fit. I got a S in the running shorts but I was actually in between the XS & S on the chart. I might have been able to wear an XS but I don't know for sure.
I have also read many reviews & the price always comes up. I can say that for me, I do think this brand is worth the price. I have never worn anything for my workouts that felt as wonderful & almost like nothing was there!
I just want to say that HONESTLY - I LOVE this brand! I LOVE their clothes. It is hard because now I don't want to wear some of my other really cute tops too because this MadKool fabric is so AMAZING!!!!!
OK - just had to share my love of this company & the brand AND the amazing brand ambassadors!
ON TO WHAT IS COMING UP IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS - I will be reviewing a few products. I know some don't like these types of posts BUT I only pick ones that I am truly interested in. I don't say yes just to get free stuff! Even with FitFluential, I only sign up for campaigns with products that I want to know more about! So here is what is coming...
1. Koss FitClips & FitBuds: I am reviewing these for FitFluential. I was not happy with my current earbuds so I really wanted to see what they were all about since it was a partnership with Dara Torres - the Olympic medalist swimmer!
2. Sony Walkman Sports MP3 Player - Waterproof: I received a Klout perk of a model down from this. I has some probs with it & contacted a Sony Instagram friend & he hooked me up with this latest version! Very excited! Liking it so far!
3. OHYeah! Victory Protein Bars: These bars are supposed to compete with the Quest bars I reviewed not too long ago. They are new on the market & only have 4 flavors right now. A very different texture than the Quest bars. More when I post the review.
4. NudeFoods Nutrient Dense Food Bars, Ultra-Dense Breakfast Boosts & Licious Organics Cookies. Super excited to try all these goodies. All are gluten free, soy free & raw. Almost all are Dairy free. The cookies are NOT vegan but everything else except 1 boost & 1 bar are vegan! I already tried the Coconut Pecan Probiotic blend in my oatmeal & on a sweet potato - OMG -delish!!! This is the one that is NOT vegan or dairy free - sorry for those out there that can't have this one. I will let you know how the other two taste. I met these people at ExpoWest!!!
I hope I am not forgetting anything but that should keep me busy for a bit!
Have you tried the YMX brand yet? Do you love it like me???
Anybody tried any of the other goodies I will be reviewing in the next few weeks?
Together we're redefining the female athlete by setting epic goals and pushing past where we've ever been and where we thought we could go. Join us. Set your own personal goal. Then document your journey by posting videos and photos that tell your story from start to victory.
We'll continuously post challenges for you. But that's just the beginning. Show us your journey. Show us what makes your story the one that stands out from the rest. If you meet your goal, set a new one. Make it even bigger. Prove to everyone, and yourself, that you have more than what it takes.
Every week we'll give away Under Armour Swag Bags full of gear to women who are seriously getting it. We'll also feature profiles on our home page and in the "Top Performers" section of women who are really setting an example for all of us.
After 8 weeks, we'll announce the 10 finalists who've documented the most impressive, motivated, monumental stories.
Winners will be announced mid-July.
Three winners will be flown to Costa Rica to attend a four-day yoga and surf retreat. In addition to the lessons led by world-class instructors, winners will be treated to transformative massages, spa treatments and healthy, locally-sourced meals prepared by personal chefs. All while staying in plush accommodations looking out at the ocean. A retreat worthy of the women who earn it.
SO - a little about my team & my goal: Aging with strength, being proud, being strong, respecting myself! I am enough!!!!! I WILL..
So although you all know I LOVE being healthy & fit, that I LOVE LIFTING WEIGHTS & being strong, that I LOVE BEING FIT AT 55 - I also have struggled with being BEING ENOUGH for my whole life.
At 55, I have challenged myself in many ways thru the years. I am not who I was when I was young. My goals & challenges are different than many of the other teams & individuals out there.
1. I was very insecure as a kid yet I pushed myself to try out for sports & cheerleading & drill team in those very tough years. I did well in them BUT I always felt I was not enough even though I was good - I can look back & say that now.
2. I worked at Corporations when I was younger. I challenged myself to do the best I could in an environment that was not women friendly, especially in my younger years.
3. I lost weight in high school - about 35-40 pounds & never looked back. Yes a had a few stumbles but always learning & always a work in progress. Even with weight loss, I was still not enough
4. I started working out in a gym in my early 20's. I was lifting weights when other women were not doing this or VERY FEW. I did the typical aerobics classes but weights were always part of my program from that point on. I wanted some muscle!
5. I ran 5k's in my late 20's to early 30's. IT WAS A CHALLENGE! I did not love running like many but I wanted to challenge myself. I placed & even won a few in my age category.
6. I started lifting heavier in my mid 30's & then competed in small natural bodybuilding contests for 2 years in my late 30's. I was scared "you know what" but I did it & won both years.
I still was not enough....
At this stage in my life, it is being more about BEING ENOUGH!
I applaud all people challenging themselves right now with this campaign!!! I love anything that shows women that they are strong, independent & AMAZING people!
YES, people my age & older are challenging themselves with running & hiking & marathons & more. I LOVE THAT!!!!
For me, this is a time to challenge myself to JUST BE ENOUGH NO MATTER WHAT I DO ... And my challenge for all those that want to join me is the same - YOU ARE ENOUGH NO MATTER WHAT you CHALLENGE YOURSELF WITH to running to walking to swimming to racing to yoga to just being kind to yourself..
I am just asking my team members to get up each day & do the best in whatever they want to do & no matter how it ends at the end of the day - they can say - I AM ENOUGH.
ALONG WITH THAT - EACH DAY TO SAY SOMETHING NICE ABOUT & TO YOURSELF - THAT IS MY CHALLENGE FOR MY TEAM. I would love to see each of you & EVERYONE try to post on FB or Twitter or anywhere something good about yourself each day.
WHAT WILL I BE DOING?
1. I am going to continue to challenge myself in the gym. At 55, things are always changing so every day is a challenge! I love the weights so I will continue to challenge myself there. I am not a cardio fan but I DO IT so I will continue my challenge there.
2. I am going to try each day to either post on FB, Twitter or here at home something kind about myself to show that I AM ENOUGH! It may be my own words or it may be a quote from elsewhere that I share with you.
3. I teased in a comment to a fellow blogger that I was going to try to take a gym picture without my head cut off to prove to myself that I am enough. My readers know I always cut my face off my gym pics! HONESTLY, I am not sure I will get there by 8 weeks but I will try. For me, at 55, I have many face issues due to hormonal stuff. Not everyone gets this but I did so this is super hard for me.. I will try but no promises on the pic! I think at least trying is a step...
4. Being Enough also means trying to bring awareness to companies & the media & other social outlets like this that let's just not have lip service. It does not always have to be pretty people! Don't say or write one thing & then do another. TOO MANY MIXED MESSAGES!
***I also want to challenge Under Armour to go beyond physical beauty & age too! ***
As much as they are doing a great thing, when I look at the pictures of the winners & their advertisements & promotional pictures, these are fairly if not very attractive women that are younger. In addition, I got an early comment on my FB page about boomers & the fact that they are a good % of the money being spent on active & workout wear. Yet, winners of many of these competitions are younger & more attractive people.
I GET IT! People want to see pretty people & that sells more but I will continue to try to change this attitude which makes people & especially women & young women never feel that they are good enough.
Many women can do a wonderful challenge like this but at the end of the day if the winners still represent younger & more attractive women, well - this still leads other women to never feel as if they are enough.
YES, it has to come from within BUT when we are saturated from an early age, it is hard to get past it especially when you see it day in & day out on TV, in the movies, in the magazines, in the ads.
This is NOT just Under Armour. This is prevalent across 99.9% of the media. Don't get me wrong! I am thankful for being chosen to be part of this campaign but being part of it also entails this avenue for me - this part of the challenge - #4 above.
**PLEASE SEE postscript at the end of the post for something I was watching AFTER this post was ready to go live.
I also have to say the the technology part of this campaign is making me feel not enough!!! I am not a techy as many of you know so I sure wish this were easier for those of us that are not tech savvy!
OK - let's show them all that YOU ARE ENOUGH!!!!! I know this is a work in progress each day for many out there. I don't expect to get perfect at this BUT I DO HOPE TO BE NICE & KINDER TO MYSELF!!
After I had finished this, I was watching a recorded episode of KATIE from yesterday. Mika Brzezinski was on talking about her new book - Obsessed: America's Food Addiction--And My Own! I watched a professional discuss that there is a disease called Disordered Eating - it is not bulimia or anorexia. It is different. You can go to a doctor & answer questions & walk out being told you are fine because you are not one or the other when in fact you have Disordered Eating.
Do you wake up thinking what am I NOT going to eat today OR what food should I stay away from OR how much exercise do I need to do to get rid of what I ate.
WHAT % OF THE DAY ARE FOOD, WEIGHT, BODY IMAGE PART OF YOUR THOUGHTS. Over 50% woke up thinking the above!
I am going now to watch the 2nd half about the dos & dont's of talking to your kids about food & weight. HINT - do not bring physical appearance into it...
You can read more & click on all the links HERE!
SO, WE REALLY NEED TO GET TO A POINT WHERE MEDIA DOES NOT SEND MIXED MESSAGES - AND KATIE MENTIONED THESE MIXED MESSAGES LIKE I WROTE ABOUT ABOVE - saying one thing & doing another, lip service...
***I am going to try my hardest to BE ENOUGH & I hope you join me with this challenge! I think it is way harder than a physical one!
Let's do this together!!!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a small oven proof bowl. I used a
dab of coconut butter.
2. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together oats, cinnamon, baking powder, ground flax and vanilla protein powder.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together water, mashed ripe banana, egg white and vanilla extract.
4. Pour dry ingredients into wet and stir until combined. Pour mixture into prepared bowl.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until oatmeal is puffed and set.
6. Serve warm with chopped walnuts. Or in my case warmed up with a dollop of almond butter spread on top. Yummm….
So, I did not have a banana that was ripe & I have really been wanting to make this so I modified - what else is new, right! I was trying to replicate I use when I just make plain ole oatmeal. This is what I did below:
1. Substituted applesauce for the banana. I am guessing you could do pumpkin too!
2. I used a lot more cinnamon - I love cinnamon!
3. I used chia & flax.
4. I use 2 scoops of protein powder in my oatmeal so I did here too! Course I have to plug my affiliate program here for Designer Whey! Using my DISCOUNT code, ZDWHEY4, you get 20% off your total online order and FREE shipping in the continental US for orders of $50+! SHOP HERE!
5. I added more liquid egg whites to make up for the additional protein powder.
6. As you can see, I added in some frozen berries.
7. I added more than the suggested amount of vanilla extract.
8. I did not have a souffle dish so I used a mini loaf pan.
9. I did not use any nuts but feel free to use your fave nut!
10. KEEP IN MIND that all protein powders work differently in terms of how thick or thin a batter they make SO you are going to have to play this by ear in that regard. Use more or less of the moisture ingredients based on your own personal experience with the your protein powder. Baking time may vary too depending on your ingredients & protein powder. I like my stuff well done so... that is how I roll!
I LOVED THIS RECIPE & SO FILLING!!! I really am excited to try it with banana though cause I think that would be delish - and maybe blueberries too! I also like how easy it is to change it up!!!!
I like baked oatmeal so much that I may eat it this way from now on unless I am short on time!!!
My cooks out there - how would you change this up - PLS SHARE!!!!